Belltown Farms – Director of Agriculture
Location: USA, exact location flexible, some travel required.
Compensation: competitive full-time salary plus benefits
Belltown Farms is investing an initial US$100m into a sustainable agriculture strategy, buying large parcels of American farmland, converting the land to organic production and operating it in line with regenerative principles. The broader Belltown group has successfully raised and invested ca.$500m into sustainable infrastructure in the US and UK since 2013.
Belltown is recruiting for a Director of Agriculture to lead its farming activities. Farms will be primarily in the Midwest, and the investment team is based in Philadelphia / NYC.
As director of agriculture, you will be responsible for:
– Organic Certification: achieving and maintaining USDA organic certification and other applicable regenerative certifications (e.g. Grass Fed / Pasture raised, bio dynamic) that may deliver a premium for Belltown Farms output.
– Crop Strategy:
During transition to organic: designing a crop rotation with a primary focus on rebalancing soils, building organic matter, supporting soil biology, with a secondary focus on revenues
Ongoing: designing crop and livestock rotations that optimise commercial returns and build long term soil health.
– Off-take: developing relationships with off-takers for Belltown Farms’ crops in order to secure long term contracts, and attractive pricing.
– Regenerative Farming: thought leadership on regenerative approach to farming, across soil health, seed, animal welfare, biodiversity, carbon emissions and community
– Farming Team: Work with Head of Farming Operations to hire and manage farm staff and support teams for each farming hub; responsible for professional development, culture, quality assurance, health and safety
You will report to the CEO and present quarterly at Board meetings, and on an ad hoc basis at investment committee meetings.
As the ideal candidate for this position, you will have the following experience and skills:
– Knowledge of diverse areas of farming (row crops, vegetables, permanent crops, livestock) and familiarity with various different soil types and geographies across the US;
– Experience managing large-scale (1,000s of acres) organic farming profitably;
– Enthusiasm for regenerative agriculture
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and cover letter to apply